Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Raider Rebirth....Revival? I Don't Know

This is mostly to keep track of and serve has a kind of online notepad for the "build" of the Raider into something more fun than "just my truck'.  Don't know if I'll actually follow through, but we'll see.


So,  I've had my Raider since 2006. 

  It's the vehicle I've owned the longest in my fleet, and at around 294K miles, it's still running,  working and doing truck stuff.

However,  I can tell it's getting tired.  And with all I've put this thing through over the years, I'm surprised it's still moving under its own power. 

Which leaves me with a problem.   I know it's getting tired, so do I dump some money in it or replace it with something else?

If it looked like a typical 294K mile truck,  I'd probably sell it and find something else.  However,  after 18 years with the stupid thing...I'm attached to it.

It's a mid sized truck with a V8, and was built in low enough numbers that it's not common to see a lot of these in the wild.   Which pushes a lot of my buttons. 

  Plus, aside from general wear and tear, it still looks pretty good.  No rust, huge dents or serious exterior issues. 

It just needs a little love.  So, I'm thinking I'm going to dump some money into the old girl...eventually.  

I can't throw any serious money or make big moved for about another two years, so this is mostly me thinking out loud.

I never really thought about modifying it before now, because I always needed it to do truck stuff, and didn't want to take away from the functionality of the truck.

 Well, opinions change over the years, so let's get nuts.

When the Raider was first released, Mitsubishi sponsored a 3.7l DuroCross 4WD to run in the stock class of the Baja 1000 race.  

The truck is now belongs to the Boost Rodeo guys who have a channel on YouTube. 

I loved that truck, and always wanted something along those lines.  Lifted, aftermarket wheels, roll bar, tire rack, lights and a custom tubular off road bumper.  It was my computer wallpaper for a long time, and it's still a favorite. 

So, I think  I'd like to build something similar with the Raider, along with generally fixing up the truck and put a little pep in it's step again. 

My truck is a 2WD model, so more of a pre-runner type truck, and not a fully caged and prepped race truck.

So here's a general list/plan to deal with fixing any mechanical issues and eventual modifications.

Maintenance:

Rebuilt 4.7l Engine

Replacement Catback Exhaust 

Power Steering Rack

Front Struts

Coilover Rear Load Shocks

Rear End Rebuild/Replacement 

Mods:

3 in Body Lift 

Chase Rack/Light Bar

Front Light Bar/Prerunner Bumper

Oil Pressure/Transmission Temp Gauge/Water Temp Gauge

New Wheel/Tire Combo (33's) 285/75/16  Will work with 16x8 Wheels

Driving Lights

Stand-alone Transmission Cooler

Aftermarket Seats

Android Head Unit 

This is just a basic list so far and a general idea of how I want to proceed. Subject to change. 

The 3rd Gen Dakota/Raider doesn't really have suspension lift options other than shock spacers for the front and blocks or "add a leafs" for the rear.

A body lift seems like a real hassle to do, but it would retain the original suspension geometry without the additional wear that shock spacers would put on the front end to get more lift. 

Still undecided on the best way to clear for bigger tires.

Anyway,  that's my plan on spending money and time on yet another automotive money pit.

Has anyone done a body lift on a truck?  I imagine relocating certain components is probably a real pain, and I'm wondering how it's handled.  Radiator,  Steering Shaft, Brake Lines etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment