Sunday, August 19, 2018

Sayonara, Rusty!!

He Don't Live Here Anymore..

Have You Seen Me?

Unfortunately, I chose to give up on resurrecting "Rusty", my 98 Eagle Talon TSi/AWD.

"Why", you ask?  "Why would you do that"?  Especially after all this time, money and effort spent trying to unf**k the horrors and neglect heaped upon this car, by previous owners?  

Because something, shinier and newer caught my eye?

Well...sort of.

No, Seriously..

A chance glance at my Facebook Timeline showed an ad for a car that I've been after for a very long time.  I'm talking over 15 years of time.  So after about 10 seconds of.."No, I really shouldn't", gave way to, "Oh, What The Hell!  Why Not?", the decision was made.

I wanted to keep the car, and finish what I started, but I don't have the room for three "toy" cars.  One of them has to go and unfortunately, the one that wasn't currently running and also needed the most money would be the one to go.

Such, High Hopes...

The whole point of this car was to build a nice, clean, lightly modded unique and rare AWD car that I could take on cruises, long road trips and show up to car meets in and not have something that looked like it had escaped from a junkyard.

This car could be that car, but it would require a ton of money, time and effort to get it there.  I wanted to be the one to save this car, from the neglect and abuse from previous owners, but it just didn't make sense, financially.

The car I was going to replace it with was all of those things and more.  Rare, AWD, Turbocharged, with working Cruise, A/C and pretty much bone stock.

For the price of getting the 98 Talon back on the road and looking decent, I could buy this new car, park it in the garage and have a running and driving car that just needed some minimal cleanup.  

As opposed to one that needed pretty much a full on "Unf**kening."

Crap. 

 Sorry Dude, but I gotta vote you out of the garage.

Fire Sale!

In order to clear the garage as quickly as possible, I priced "Rusty" and pretty much anything I had gathered, scavenged, bought, and traded for the car into a pile and basically said,

 "Come And Get It!"










A friend of a friend was looking for a new project car, to replace one he had to sell because of some financial issues from last year. 

  After some consideration,  a deal was struck and the new owner of "Rusty" arrived a week later with a Roll Back Trailer and took everything pictured with him.  

Except for the wheels and tires.  Those belong to "Trogdor."

I Kept The Wheels

Hopes, Dreams?

I certainly do hope that the new owner gets the car back on the road.  Although, I have a feeling that the chances are more than likely pretty low. 

Most Project Cars occupy a strange sort of "Limbo" where they don't truly exist as cars anymore. They get passed from owner to owner and either wind up resurrected to prowl the streets once again, parted out or get turned into beer cans.  

New owners often have the best of intentions, but their plans are usually poorly executed, or they wind up running into financial or time issues and can't see things through.

After failing this car myself, I think it deserves a chance to live again.

I'm pulling for you "Rusty"!


Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot....

No comments:

Post a Comment