Sunday, August 19, 2018

Pajero! Raider...Whatever.

Nothing To See Here Folks...

Living in pretty much Central Kansas, you wouldn't think you would see a lot of weird or unusual cars.

However, Wichita is home to McConnell AFB, which means that there is a constant stream of new people coming to the area, and of course they bring their cars and trucks with them.  So, every once in awhile, something pops up that piques my interest.

Since I've lived here I've seen several R32 Skylines, the occasional Exotic Supercar and a smattering of cool and unusual early 90's sports cars and old school JDM RWD vehicles.

Most of the time this happens in the most unexpected areas.

Case, In Point...

I recently started working Third Shift at my new job, so I either have to do my Grocery Shopping right after I get off from work in the morning, or do it after I wake up in the  late afternoon/early evening.

Last week, I opted to do it after I woke up at 4pm and so was treated to more than the usual number of shoppers in the store than I was used to.

Fanfrickingtastic.

After leaving the controlled chaos that is my local Grocery Store in late afternoon, I spotted something, weird, quirky, unusual and very unexpected to see in a Central Kansas grocery store parking lot.

Not Ugly, But Beautiful...

It was a Dodge Raider!  

I Want It!!!
The Dodge Raider was the badge engineered version of the Mitsubishi Pajero that was sold globally by Mitsubishi Motors for many years.

The Pajero was the smaller 2 Door version of the Montero SUV, which we only got for three short years, badged as Dodge Raiders.  

Mitsubishi never sold the Pajero in the U.S. market, unfortunately.

The Raider wasn't a very big seller in the States, which is a shame and makes one that's running, and in decent shape, a very rare sight indeed.

My GF accused me of being "creepy and stalky" because I was taking pictures of "that ugly little thing".  

Maybe it is "creepy and stalky", but I love these little things, and I think this is the first time I've seen one actually on the road and not moldering in a junkyard or For Sale on Craigslist.

So Cool!!

This one appears to be in decent shape and looks to be slightly modified as well.

The Pajero/Montero has a reputation as a tough,reliable and capable off roader, so it's not surprising to see one modified.

Judging by the stickers on the front and on the door, it looks like this participated in the SCCA United States Road Rally Challenge in 2017.

Also noting the Autobot insignia on the body striping the owner/driver has a sense of humor or is a geek as well.

Anyway, here's the pics I took, while balancing 4 bags of groceries.

Badged "Raider" On This Side

Badged "Pajero" On This Side

Mitsubishi Grille

Beer Tap Shifter
   

Maybe One Of These Days...

You can import a RHD Pajero/Montero from Japan if you like. Some models are equipped with a small diesel motor which would make a for a very cool, unusual and useful ride here in the States.

 
 It's completely LEGAL!


Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot....

No comments:

Post a Comment