Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Of All The Stupid, Ham Handed....

It's The Simple Things


Be careful out there, when installing old parts. (Well, No Shit Kung Fu..)

I picked up a really clean set of 1Gb Talon taillights a few months ago from a guy in OKC parting out his car. These were slated for "Trogdor", my 93 Eagle Talon TSi/AWD  

These have been lovingly stored until I felt like installing them, and I decided to throw them on the car the other day because the weather was nice and I had all the time in the world.  The set of taillights that are being replaced, are serviceable, but scratched, faded, and just look like "Hot Buttery Swamp Ass".

Now, I've done this procedure a million times before and I never had an issue.  It's pretty simple.

Remove the trim covers in the hatch area to access the pugs and nuts holding the taillights and center section in place.  Unplug harnesses, remove center section then the left and right taillight assemblies.  Installation is the reverse of removal.

 I even replaced all the bulbs with new Silverstar bulbs because I was feeling froggy and proceeded to remove the old set of taillights from the car.

Everything was going well, and I was digging how the new set of clean taillights was looking on the car.  That lasted until it was time to install the center section.

If you've never seen the taillight setup on a 92-94 Talon, well it's unique to the 1G DSM line of cars.  The mid cycle refresh gave each of the 1G DSM Triplets a unique taillight treatment for each car.   With the Talon being the most different of the bunch, the best looking and unfortunately the most fragile.

It was a little tight going in so, just need to add a little pressure to get it line up properly...there it goes...just a little more....*CRACK*!

 #@!?*&^%!!

Well, They Were "Nice"




Yup, in the course of trying to get it to line up properly, I cracked the lens of the center section.

Go Me. (I Suck At Life)

So now I get to hunt down another "clean" center section and hopefully I don't try to "gorilla" this one into the car and jack it up too.

Or I can try cleaning the other center section up and seeing if it looks OK.  Assuming I can get it on the car without breaking it.  That might be my only option, as unfortunately finding parts for a 1Gb Talon these days is kind of like striking gold somewhere.

Stupid, Stupid, Ham Hands.


Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot....

No comments:

Post a Comment