Sunday, October 29, 2017

Yeah, But You Should See The Other Guy

I Wish I Wasn't Typing This..

  

The "Helmet" Is Dead.




  Well....That Happened...

Nope, not a joke.  My faithful 2005 VW Golf TDI is dead.
Bier Cans.
Scrap Metal.
Finito.
Sayonara.
Peace Out, I'm Done.
DEAD.

I got into a car accident on the way home from work.  Someone crossed into my lane and hit me head on at full speed.

I Should Be Dead


Both vehicles were traveling at roadway speed when the vehicles collided.  My Golf was struck head on by the mid sized sedan (details of other vehicle withheld) at full speed.

After the impact, I was initially conscious but trapped in the vehicle. I was later told I lost consciousness at some point.  It took EMS personnel approximately 10 minutes to extract me from my car.

Pity Party, Party Of One

The last two months have been filled with stress, drama, surgeries, physical therapy, hospital stays and more doctor visits than I care to remember.


I have subjected my family and girlfriend to stress, drama and my personal bullshit and issues that have arisen from this accident.  I've suffered from physical pain, mood swings, depression, memory loss and lingering, unresolved anger.  Unfortunately the people I love, have been the recipients of my anger and frustration at times.

For this, I sincerely apologize.

My family and especially my girlfriend have gone above and beyond to take care of and help me get through this.  I have no way I can possibly articulate or ever possibly express just how much this means to me.

The accident has left me in a very dark place emotionally, that I'm still dealing with.  I'm not sure how I would have made it this far without her support. 

"Thank You Weezie.  I'm Sorry For Being A Whiny Jackass Sometimes."

According to my doctors, I SHOULD recover from this mostly, with some lingering effects.  My range of motion in the affected joints and limbs will suffer from slightly degraded range of motion, dexterity and strength.  I will have lingering pain from the surgeries used to repair the accident damage. Most of this will be mitigated with Physical Therapy and time as my body heals, but I will have reminders of the accident for the rest of my life.  My finances will be damaged and several things I had planned to do will be placed on hold because, I now have medical bills to contend with until things with the other driver are settled.

However as my girlfriend has reminded me numerous times..."At least you're alive."

She's right.  I broke almost 3/4's of my body in the accident, and not only am I alive, I'm not permanently crippled or missing any limbs.  In the coming months of recovery and physical therapy, I'll try to remember that.

I also just wanted to thank Volkswagen for engineering the Mk4 Golf.  The design of the vehicle ensured I survived what could have been a  far more serious accident.  I want another Golf or Jetta, but my Girlfriend thinks I might be pushing my luck considering how easily this could have gone much, much worse for me.

I'm inclined to agree.

She still hasn't showed me the pics she took after I asked her to clear my car out at the tow lot.  She says it's pretty bad and probably not a good idea to see it until I recover a bit more.  I'm told it looks like the front end of the car has been bitten off, while the rest?  Well, it looks like a car.

I'm just pissed because now I have to find something to replace it.  Hopefully I can find something as cool looking and fuel efficient as the Golf.

So....

R.I.P. 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI "The Helmet"

You Saved My Life.  Thank You.


Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch

As for the guy who hit me?  Destroyed my super cool Diesel Daily?  Caused me and my loved ones worry, pain and unneeded stress?  Derailed my finances, health, career and several long range life plans?

I wish the other guy no real ill will at all, but I do wish we had never met.  I've been told you're not supposed to speak ill of other people, even if they've wronged you so I'll just say this to the other guy:

"Nice try Cupcake.  I'm still here."


Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot.......

No comments:

Post a Comment