Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Roadblocks

Well That Wasn't Supposed To Happen

In the course of working on a car, sometimes progress on a project can be delayed or can come to a grinding and screeching halt, for reasons that are beyond your control. It happens to everyone and it happened to me on Sunday night.

I was running at night with my GF , because she's one of those crazy people who voluntarily run long distances for fun.   She's worried that one night she might get kidnapped while running.  Valid reason, especially in this day of age.

   However, I reminded her that if that ever happened, the moment she opened her mouth and started yelling at them, they would probably put her right back where they found her.

She didn't think that was funny.  I got the death glare, and had to go running anyway.

Damn.

So we start to run on some side streets near her house.  Some of the streets are old school cobblestone and kind of rough in some spots.  I'm running, dicking around with my cell phone,  trying to get my "Map My Run" App working, when I "Took A Bad Step."

Not The Ankle, But You Get The Idea

My foot went down on a uneven piece of the street, my ankle rolled (Ow, That Hurts!), and gravity and inertia had their way with me.

  I went down in a spectacular fashion, the cellphone went skidding across the street, and I wound up with a rather bruised and very swollen ankle, some nice road rash and some cuts to go with it.

She ran up and told me "She wasn't impressed" and said I'd "do anything to get out of running."  I was then informed I should crawl out of the roadway, before I got my ass run over.

Thanks Sweetie!

Went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with a "Moderate to Severe Ankle Sprain", along with a possible hairline fracture.

Awesome.

So I'm off work for two weeks now with orders to rest, and not put weight on the ankle.  (Instructions, I will probably disregard, because I'm a guy and that's what we do.)  I also get to wear this really cool looking "Iron Man" style orthopedic boot while I hobble everywhere I go for awhile.

Fantastic.

  

Time Off Is Good, Right?


Time off is good, but better without a bum ankle.

Unfortunately this means that working on the Miata to get it ready for  Driver's Edge at  Motorsport Ranch in October, may have hit a snag.  I have time off from work, but I'm supposed to be laid up and recuperating, not wrenching on the car.

I have the car pretty much ready to go back together as far as the rollbar install goes.  Just needs the interior trim panels modified to clear the bar and reinstalled, also need a "foamectomy" for the Driver's Seat and to reinstall the seats.

The hood and the front and rear bumpers have been painted and need to be picked up and reinstalled as well.

So, getting all this done before Oct 15 can be done, I just might be pushing it a bit.  Hopefully I can bounce back from this pretty quick.

I have a followup appointment with the doctor in two weeks.  Hopefully he'll release me to go back to work and I can get back to wrenching on the car as well to get her ready.

Oh and one more thing.....

Running Is Stupid.

That Is All,

Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment