Friday, August 5, 2016

Gojira....Gojira....

  Saw something today that I didn't expect to ever see in Wichita, of all places.

Went to the Post Office today to mail off some more of my ever dwindling supply of DSM/Mitsubishi car parts to a buyer from Facebook.  I had left a roll of packing tape in the car, so I had to schlep all my stuff back outside when I noticed something different in the parking lot.

Parked a few cars away from my Miata, was a nice clean R32 Nissan GT-R in Metallic Grey.

Now, I've seen a few GT-R's and other models of Skylines from my time living in Dallas.  They were fairly common at the meets.   Common enough that I saw them on the road a lot and even got a thumbs up from a older Skyline GTS-T that passed me one night while I was driving my old Eagle Talon TSi/AWD.  Hell, I taught one GT-R owner how to launch his car, because before then he had never owned anything that was AWD, and wasn't quite sure how to go about it.

On a side note, he had bought his car from Motorex when they were importing the cars into the States.  Unfortunately, they weren't imported legally and a lot of them would up being impounded and crushed.  Hope his wasn't one of them.

So, yeah, I've seen a few GT-R's in my day.  I wasn't quite fanboying about it, but I thought that it was pretty cool to see one around here.  Wichita has a lot of nice cars rolling around, but I haven't really seen too much in the way of an "Import Scene", aside from a few lowered Civics, the occasional WRX and some other cars.

  I went back inside after retrieving my tape, and spotted about the only person in the Post Office who could have been the owner of the car.  Turns out the car was owned by an Airman from McConnell AFB, and he was dropping off a package.  I complimented him on his car, and we talked only for a bit.  He said that there were 5 other Skylines in the area, which kind of surprised me again.  I dropped off my package and had to leave, so I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the car.

Now that I know that there's more to the Wichita area than Farm Trucks, Mustangs, and loud lowered Hondas, I need to get out there and discover what this area has to offer.


Go, Go, Godzilla!!


Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot...

No comments:

Post a Comment